Thursday 9 October 2014

The Spirituality of Running



Sometimes you have to get away from it all, for a bit of space and silence.  As I mentioned in our Growing Leaders Course on Monday, my Rule of Life includes going for a run.  For me, it is not just the natural high of the endorphin rush, but a chance to clear the mind and get closer to God in his creation, even in these darker and damper days of autumn.  Having encouraged others to explore their shadow sides, I decided to reflect with my mood in a bit of poetry, inspired by a 10 mile run around Burnham Beeches:

Running through the forest in rain,
Grounded to earth of ancient paths.
Gradient, traction, each step placed
With pace, breathing and heartbeat fast.

Leaf canopy, oxygen tent:
In a bubble, a womb all mine.
Now fully alive, heightened sense,
Alive to fragrance: fern and pine.

Invisible wind of spirit blows
Confetti of sycamore seeds:
Potential for a whole new wood
Abundant grace for those in need.

1 comment:

  1. I do exactly the same on my mountain bike along the River Rhine.

    ReplyDelete