Friday 23 August 2019

The Vicar as Community Representative


It is with great sadness that we heard that PC Andrew Harper was a resident of Crowmarsh.  We continue to hold him, his wife Lissie, their families, friends and colleagues in our prayers.

During our pre-ordination training, we explored the various representative roles of a vicar between God, the church and the community.  I particularly remembered the example of how the Vicar of Soham became the focal point for national media after the child murders there back in 2002, speaking on behalf of that small town during their terrible times.  It was a role that I dreaded.  As well as fears about what words I would say, there was also the concern about which “sound bites” would make the edit – like those who use proof-verses without the context of the surrounding scripture.

Around the time that I was looking for my first incumbency role, there was a vacancy in Hungerford which I studied in detail.  The scars from their tragedy some thirty years previously were still evident and made me think about how the next Rector would have to deal with these long-term effects as a newcomer.  As it happened, I was offered the post of Team Vicar within the Wallingford Team and so I avoided that issue.

Friday 16th August began as a normal day: Morning Prayer at Crowmarsh, and then taking a Care Home Communion and meeting visiting bellringers at Brightwell-cum-Sotwell.  Around midday, I noticed a Facebook message from our daughter who shared the shocking news of the death of a Police Officer from Abingdon, which is where we used to live and where my wife still works.  I watched the lunchtime news – an absolutely horrible situation for the police.

I first learned about that this news story was actually much closer to our current home in Crowmarsh when an ITV news reporter phoned me to say that they were down at St Mary Magdalene’s and would like an interview with the Vicar – “ah, that would be me then”.  Initially, I referred them to the Diocese and Police Chaplains as I had had no previous contact with the family and knew nothing other than what I had seen on the news.  However, after speaking to our Diocesan Press Officer, I was encouraged to represent the parish in expressing our natural reactions and feelings, and to share our prayers for the bereaved family and for our police force as they deal with the tragedy of losing a colleague.

Having been informed that a reporter from “The Sun” had been hanging around outside the Harper’s house, I also suggested that the family’s privacy be respected – this was just common sense, not that I was representing the family in any way.  On being asked what we do be doing, I said that the church is open every day for people to stop, reflect and pray, and that many people leave prayer requests in the book and so footage was taken of me writing my own prayer which was broadcast that evening and night.  ITV News said that we had opened a “Book of Condolences”.  I dropped my own condolence card into the house which was identified as the Harper’s home, but I’d expect that PC Harper’s wife is being kept in a safe house somewhere away from the media.

On Saturday, Sky News were in touch to request that they report our Sunday Service.  Not knowing what the story was, I sought clarification from the Diocese/Police Chaplains so that I could give reassurance about the who was looking after the family, given that I had no contact.  The TVP Family Liaison Team were doing their job, and I assume it was being done well, given that they had been well-protected from the media.  The Police Chaplains were also adamant that no “Books of Condolence” would be opened until the family had consented.

We requested that Sky News did not attend until after our worship had finished and then I would meet them after I had arrived back from taking the services in Wallingford, where I received the message that BBC News would be there too, having requested an interview about a “memorial service”, which again surprised me.

On walking to Crowmarsh church, the BBC reporter approached me to talk about what they would like.  I explained that it was our normal Sunday service, but would include prayers for the family and police which is what we naturally do in church, to hold all affected before God.  Also, as per the Police Chaplains instruction, the Prayer Book was not to be called a “Book of Condolence”.  He said he would check whether they still wanted an interview.

I went in for the end of the Crowmarsh service and was particularly moved that two of our Community Support Officers had joined us for this service.  Understandably, they weren’t keen on appearing on camera when they have a TVP Press Office.  I spoke to as many of our regulars as possible to get a sense of the mood, which was definitely more sombre than usual, symbolised by our St George’s flag being flown at half-mast.

In quick succession, I was interviewed by Sky News and then the BBC.  As with ITV, I insisted that I did not know the family personally, and so I apologise to anyone who was given this impression.  My main message was that every Sunday service celebrates the Christian hope of resurrection and at churches up and down the country PC Harper, his family, friends and colleagues would be held before God in prayer.  Sky News gave this aspect much better coverage than the BBC, who only picked up on my final statement it is “harder to be joyful”, given the circumstances.  Despite my insistence that the Prayer Book was not a “Book of Condolence”, they still called it that.  It appears that the word “prayer” has been deleted from their vocabulary.

“Condolences” are a natural reaction of everyone of all faiths and none and express the sadness of a community grieving one of their own.  However, as Christians we have so much more to offer, because we worship a God who has chosen to share our pain and death and is right there in the midst of it with us, and who can restore us to peace and new life.  That is why we pray.

We will continue to hold all those affected in prayer in the days, weeks and months to come, that justice will be done and that the bereavement process can be worked through away from the media spotlight.

Looking back, if some of the intense media attention was deflected, then some good came out of it, but it is the worst-possible duty expected of a vicar and certainly not one that I ever hope to repeat.

1 comment:

  1. Rather than send condolences via me, or Sulhamstead Church as some are now doing, an email address has been set up by Thames Valley Police, as below:

    "We've been moved and would like to thank everyone for the condolence messages we have received since the tragic death of PC Andrew Harper.

    We will at the right time be passing these to his family.

    If you would like to send a message, please email PCAndrewHarperCondolences@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk

    ReplyDelete